Only desktop wallpaper after login F15

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jan 17 20:39:44 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 08:59 AM, Freak Trick wrote:
> I formatted and reinstalled. Again it worked fine the first time. But
> next boot gave the same problem. Moreover without being able to access
> the desktop, I am short of ideas to do anything to resolve the problem.
>
> Any workarounds?

I'm not sure what's going on, but if it happened twice, the third time's
not likely to be any better.  However, I take it you're not comfortable
enough with a CLI to try to work out what's going on that way.  Why not
try installing at least one other DE, such as KDE or XFCE along with
Gnome?  Then, when (not if) it happens again, you can try your secondary
DE and have a chance to do some forensics, such as groveling through
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.