"Fetch Job Error" on re-booting Fedora-16

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jan 18 13:24:54 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> Does anyone else get the error
>> --------------------------
>> Fetch Job Error - Plasma Desktop Shell
>> Unknown error. Unable to fetch item from backend.
>> --------------------------
>> on re-booting Fedora-16.

> Where should I be noticing this message?
>
> In a log file?  On the screen during shutdown?  On the screen during
> boot-up after shutdown?  Does it flash by?  Are you using KDE?  Do you
> restart from within a session or restart from the login screen?

The message comes up in a small window when re-booting;
there is nothing relevant in /var/log/messages .

It doesn't flash by; one has to click on X to close the window.

I am using KDE (with up-to-date Fedora-16).

I think it comes up whenever I re-boot the machine,
whether by going to f=>Leave=>Restart
or on re-starting after f=>Leave=>Shutdown.

Actually, I normally Hibernate,
so I don't see this message that often (maybe twice a week);
and as I said I don't see any deleterious effect.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net