Connecting Westerd Digital Live disk to my laptop.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jan 18 14:27:06 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 10:14 PM, Tolga Guver wrote:
> Ideally you connect it to your router and because it runs a debian linux server it acts in your home network as a file and media server.
> In the case where you plug it to a router it works just fine. I have problems when I want to just connect it to my computer by plugging it directly to its network card.

Sounds like the router is acting as a dhcp server and the "disk" is
getting an IP address from the router.  Which is why it works.

If you can't access the unit and configure it with a static IP you'll
have to set up a dhcp server on your system to supply the "disk" with an
IP address.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless"