Thank god for chkconfig still being somewhat workable in Fedora 16....

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 18 17:42:11 UTC 2012

I've been setting up a VirtualBox guest (Fedora 16) with no X and was having problems figuring out how to get the stupid network
card to come up (p2p1) on reboot.  I created all of the necessary /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files but still, no joy.  Couldn't
figure out how to get it to start at default target runlevel3.  Chkconfig --level 3 network on setup the following files in
/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants directory:

dbus.service
getty.target
plymouth-quit.service
plymouth-quit-wait.service
rc-local.services
systemd-ask-password-wall.path
systemd-logind.service
systemd-user-sessions.service

What a big bunch of links to have setup!  I hope that somebody, when chkconfig is no longer installed by default, has an equivalent
type command to enable networking when there's no X windows available!  Who would know that this is the base set of links that need
to be made to make networking work without NetworkManager?  And how many more of these types of "services" are there that require
multiple, seemingly unrelated files to be linked to make them work?  What a nightmare!

Sorry, just ranting.

Kevin