Looking for beautiful themes, application settings, fonts, etc. (KDE)

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:31:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:11 AM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is X running at the right size for your monitor (the screen height and
>> width in pixels),

I just learned something, thanks to your suggestion.  Aside, this is
why I ask questions on this list.  There is always someone else out
there that has more knowledge or has looked at things differently.

So...

I'm using a Dell XPS17 laptop with the proprietary nVidia driver. (Had
trouble with nouveau.)

I'm driving the U3011 (2560x1600) via the Display Port.

If I start a KDE session in twinview mode, according to the nVidia
configuration GUI, under X screen, my resolution is 128 x 130 dots per
inch.  I find those numbers a bit odd.

However, if I disable the laptop display, (1920x1080) which I don't
really need anyway, the nVidia configuration GUI tells me my
resolution is 75x75 DPI.

I think this change alone increased the crispness of displayed text.

However, in KDE-> System Settings-> Application Appearance -> Fonts,
it has Force fonts DPI and the 2 options it gives are Disabled, 96 DPI
and 120 DPI.   I Disabled it.

In the nvidia-settings GUI, I also enabled Syncing to the U3011
Display Device, 2x Anti Aliasing, 2x Ansitropic Filtering and Texture
Sharpening.

Is there anything else I can do ?