LVM boot issue?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Jan 19 18:51:53 UTC 2012

I have a workstation with 2 Seagate SATA drives, the older a 320 with
F7 and data, now used for backups, and a current 640G with F14.
Recently the F14 has refused to boot. I am able to boot F7 from the
older drive but not to much effect, it is so far out of sync with my
work that it's pretty much useless.

At boot time on the F14 drive I get:

3 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
2 logical volumes in volume group "vg_davehost" now active
[OK]

Checking filesystems
/dev/mapper/vg_davehost-lv_root contains a file system with errors,
check forced.
/dev/mapper/vg_davehost-lv_root: [spinner for progress %]

Then at some time [around 2.5% checked] the system reboots back into
the same situation and the sequence repeats.

I have booted from a F16 live CD and can see the data on the drive but
can not seem to get enough access to copy off the data or get around
the check or get the check to correct the error. Also I don't know the
result of the check and don't see how to get more info. I can verify
that the drive is /dev/sde and that sde2 has my data, but I don't know
how to mount it in a readable way even though nautilus apparently
does. As liveuser I haven't enough access to see my data or move it.

Suggestions? References?

Dave

--
It is told that such are the aerodynamics and wing loading of the
bumblebee that, in principle, it cannot fly...if all this be

-- John Kenneth Galbraith, in American Capitalism: The Concept of
Countervailing Power