fan control in F16 (KDE)

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:01:11 UTC 2012

I've got an XPS17.  (i7, 16 GB, nVidia 555, etc.)

I'm running F16.  It works well.

My XPS17 will sit perfectly quiet for a minute or more while I'm
working.  But then the fan will cut in for 10-15 seconds and its
pretty loud.  I find it annoying.

What I would rather have is the fan running at a low level all the time.

What is the easiest way to set this up in F16/KDE ?

Thanks

PS; it seems like a silly question AND if you google there is lots of
talk about fancontrol, etc.  However, I was about to embark on a bunch
of ACPI scripts prior to asking the list about how to disable the lid
switch and then decided to ask the list.   Lo and behold, it could be
done in KDE without any scripting at all.  I'm in the same boat with
this question.