How to install F16 KDE 64 bit on an XPS 17.

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 23:50:54 UTC 2012

I just upgraded a server from F16-KDE 32 bit to F16-KDE 64 bit.  Its
an i5 Sandybridge, just like my laptop.

I had the same problems as with my laptop.  I installed 64 bit F16-KDE
right from the DVD over the F16 32 bit installation that was on it
previously.  It installed fine, but wouldn't complete the reboot after
inputting a user, etc.  I tried several different ways to get around
it, to no avail.

Finally, I installed 64 bit F15-KDE from the live ISO.   Then I did a
full yum update on it.   Then I did an upgrade to it, including
selecting to update the boot table using the SAME 64 bit F16 DVD that
didn't work previously.

It (64 bit F16-KDE) then booted up fine.  I'm running yum update on it
as we speak.

There has to be a bug somewhere in the 64 bit F16-KDE live and 64 bit
F16 KDE DVD disks that they don't boot on 2 different machines.

I hope this helps someone.