Looking for beautiful themes, application settings, fonts, etc. (KDE)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 20 15:16:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 09:31 -0700, linux guy wrote:
> If I start a KDE session in twinview mode, according to the nVidia
> configuration GUI, under X screen, my resolution is 128 x 130 dots per
> inch.  I find those numbers a bit odd.

You can work it out for yourself.  Measure the screen, divide it by the
number of pixels (hint - that's why it's called pixels per inch).  If
you can see the screen, you might be able to see that the pixels are
probably rectangular.  And you should probably regard the red+green+blue
triple as a single pixel, as all three are required (as a group) to draw
a colour.  As a group, they're close to square (how close will depend on
the panel).

Some things make presumptions, and will just adopt a (sometimes
inappropriate) default value if no proper information is provided (the
graphics card should poll the display device for its specifications).
And it has been known for some devices to return wrong information.

With dual display modes, it can get really messy.  If they're different
displays, they really need different settings.  But if you're trying to
clone displays, you're trying to implement conflicting settings.

> I think this change alone increased the crispness of displayed text.

I'm not too surprised that setting up the display to the correct
parameters would help (not that I've confirmed yours are wrong or
correct, I just mean the principle of the thing).  Rendering without the
right settings is prone to errors.  Once you have a display set up to
run properly, you can then do other things to make it look nicer (font
styles and sizes), and have it do what you expect.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.