[ why i do not like base64]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 20 15:18:13 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> you replied to was not received as base64 encoded, here.

g:
> that is because it has enigmail sig. note "source" of this post.

My point was that the spam that you were complaining about as an example
of why you don't like base64 was *not* base64 encoded (the original spam
mail, not your reply to it).  At least it wasn't, *here*...  None of it
was.

But having another look at that message, I see I overlooked a mail
header stating that it had been converted (and it's quite possible that
some server may do the opposite conversion to you, converting stuff into
8bit).

If I can get the message /as text/, then so you can you, one way or
another.  And your problem (I think it was you that asked about
converting mail, last week), about using tools to filter mail, but not
encoded mail, can be simplified.

In my case, I use fetchmail to drag in mail from various internet
servers.  I access that mail through Dovecot, as a local IMAP server.
And post out through sendmail, as a local SMTP server.  (Which isn't as
hard, or complicated, as that might seem at first glance).

I don't know which of them is doing it, because I haven't deliberately
configured it to do so.  Though I notice some mention of conversion
options in the fetchmail man file.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686