Practical problem with NFS

Dave Quigley selinux at davequigley.com
Sat Jan 21 22:04:29 UTC 2012

On 1/21/2012 6:32 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 21/01/12 11:21, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> The problem is that my UID on the server is 500,
>> while it is 1000 on the laptop.
>
> Either up the server to UID:1000
> or the laptop down to UID:500
>

>> Is there some simple way of overcoming this?
>>

> No, been there done that.

There actually is a way. If you are using NFSv4 you can set it up so
that you use idmapd to translate the UID/GID's properly. NFSv4 should
use a name at dns for the user and group information on the wire. idmapd is
a service on each end that translates these pairs into uid and gid
numbers. You can look into setting up the idmapd mapping and on your end
say that uid 1000 maps to the same username that uid 500 maps to on the
other side.

Dave