F16 changes

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Mon Jan 23 04:57:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> The new lower limit of 1000 for normal user and group IDs is another issue.
> The current user has IDs 500 and has rather
> a lot of files that I want to keep.
> Fedora's documentation says to use a kickstart file to keep 500.

The file affected is /etc/logindefs .
but so far I have been unable to discover what to put in the kickstart file
to affect UID_MIN and GID_MIN.
What do I put in the kickstart file?

Also, at what point do I tell something where the kickstart file is?
I've seen two relevant syntaxes:
linux ks=hd:/device/dir/ks.cfg
linux ks=hd:partition:path/ks.cfg
I recognize the syntaxes as providing boot options to the kernel.
The plan is to boot from a minimal CD and point it at a DVD iso.
At what point will I be able to provide the option?

Will anaconda insist on using grub2?
After I've tried to install F16,
I want to be able to still boot my old system.
I don't have any grub2 stuff that refers to it.

If grub2 is used,
will that affect the syntax for supplying the kickstart file?
If grub2 is used, will that affect the names
of partitions used in the kickstart file?

Also, from the perspective of the boot sequence,
what does it mean to have a /boot partition?
Until it's mounted, it's not called /boot .
By the time it is mounted, the kernel is already running.
Does it just mean that the partition with the
bootloader is not the same as one with the / directory?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily