F16 changes

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Jan 24 15:21:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Alan Cox wrote:

>> I'm thinking of setting up a new CentOS user with ID 1000,
>> moving all my files to the new user,
>> removing my old user entry,
>> and finally changing the username of the new user back to me.
>
> This works. You may also need to change the ownership
> of /var/mail/username and move any quota files over as wanted.

I had briefly considered changing the GIDs and UIDs of the files,
but felt certain that even with find,
I would screw up a massive change like that.

Changing login.defs would be a change in only one place
IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.
Redhat says to use a kickstart file,
but says nothing at all about how to use said file to affect login.defs .
Quite irritating.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily