help needing recovering bootloader after upgrade

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Jan 24 18:07:52 UTC 2012

The bootloader was not installed properly during a F15->F16 upgrade, so
I'm hoping someone on this list can point me in the correct direction to
recover.

I had a F15 system which also has a Windows partition.
The disks (actual logical units on a RAID controller) are like this:
first: Windows partition
second: linux partition
third: Windows NTFS data partition
fourth: Linux XFS data partition

The linux partition has multiple partitions, with a 100MB /boot partition,
a separate /home partition, swap partition, and OS partition.

On the F15 installation, grub was the default bootloader, and chained to
the Windows bootloader.

I upgraded from an F16 DVD, and at the end of the upgrade process anaconda
had a message to the effect that the bootloader was not written properly
and the system may not boot.  I don't remember if the wording was that the
bootloader was not written properly, was not upgraded properly, or some
slight variant of that.

I have booted the F16 DVD in rescue mode, and the system disk is mounted
under /mnt/sysimage, everything seems to be OK there, so I think I just
need to get the bootloader set up properly again.

Would F16 have been trying to install grub2, or would it have left grub
legacy since this was an upgrade and not a fresh install?

Before I started the upgrade I printed a copy of fstab, so I have the UUID
of the /boot partition.   I have the grub manual from gnu.org, should I be
able to just follow the steps in the generic grub documentation to install
grub using grub2-install?
The only tricky part that I'm aware of is getting stage 1 on the Windows
drive, and stage 1.5 and 2 (if they are still called that in grub2) onto
the /boot partition.  Will grub2-install take UUID arguments, or will I
have to give it the raw device names (e.g. c0d1p1 for
controller/lun/partition number)?

I see after looking through the grub2 documentation that the name for the
stages is now boot.img and core.img.  The documentation does not seem
clear to me how you get boot.img onto the MBR and core.img onto a
different drive.  Maybe the correct command line to specify that to
grub2-install is all that I am missing at this point.

Anyone that can help?

thanks,
Chris Caudle