A mystery of Gnome 3.2 and failsafe mode

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 01:26:05 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 24 January 2012 15:32:06 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> When I installed F16 it would not run in Gnome 3.2 mode because of some
> deficiency in the hardware graphics. My graphics card is : 82945G/GZ.
> Someone else on the list said he had the same card and Gnome 3.2 came
> up. So we have our first mystery. I still have no idea exactly what
> graphics cards have this deficiency. Any one to clarify?
>
> Anyway in an attempt to clarify things I downloaded the Live F16 and
> when that was run Gnome 3.2 came up normally. Why is this?
[snip]

This smells like a misconfiguration problem. If 3D acceleration works on the
Live F16, it should also work with the regular install, on the same hardware.
Besides, you have Intel graphics, which has open source 3D drivers, which
should Just Work.

So I would look at the obvious places first:

(1) you did try F16 Live on the exact same hardware?
(2) did you do a fresh install or an upgrade to F16?
(3) do you have a custom /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (if any)?
(4) does Gnome3 start normally for a freshly created user?
(5) did you put something funky in the kernel boot parameters, like
"nomodeset"?
(6) is your machine fully "yum update"-ed?
(7) what does your /var/log/Xorg.0.log say after a failed attempt to start
Gnome3?

I am not a Gnome user (start it only sparingly for testing and a good laugh
now and then), but it does work on my Intel hardware. Granted, 965 rather than
945 chip, but still...

If all else fails, back up your data, and reinstall F16 fresh from the Live
CD. The configuration which is used during the Live session should be mirrored
for the HD install, so you would have a working Gnome3.

HTH, :-)
Marko