Unable to update/upgrade Fedora-16 due to yum Transaction error

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Fri Jan 27 16:28:54 UTC 2012

On 01/27/2012 10:21 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 27.01.2012 17:14, schrieb Kevin Martin:

>>> why in the world do you give such TOTALLY WRONG advises
>>> after a correct answer?
>>>
>>> a) .fc17 is not intented to be for F16
>>> b) "noGPG check" generally to set is a dumb action
>>>
>> Oh, and by the way, it's "advice", not advises, and your "correct answer" was not necessarily correct at all, just
>> your shooting your mouth off without doing any actual research as to what may have occurred.  If you can't offer
>> semi-knowledgeable advice, don't attack people who do.
> "yum clean all && yum upgrade" wil solve 99 out of 100 dependecnie/repo-problems
> if you do not want to use a shell wait until it goes away over the time
> the third option is make a bugreport that the repo needs to be fixed
>
> tell someone he should disable gpgcheck is dumb, because you suggest if people
> have problems they should do this - WTF do you understand why this exists and
> what damage are hapenning if you get a bad core-package on your system which
> was only installed because you disabled gpgcheck?

yum clean all and yum upgrade will solve some problems, but certainly not 99% of them.  For example, I *am* a tester of rawhide and
have been fighting a battle with the x11 updates.  I finally removed about 25 x11 packages that I determined weren't necessary on my
system, ran the yum update, and finally was able to get my x11 updated.  yum clean all would not have done *anything* to correct
that issue.

And yes, I'm well aware of what the gpgchecking does and why it should not be disabled.  However, being able to disable it is there
for a reason and he was trying to update a package from a repository that he knows and, presumably, trusts.  And sometimes the gpg
keys aren't available or are screwed up.

Kevin