[F16] update kernel, problem virtualbox

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sat Jan 28 18:04:51 UTC 2012

On 01/28/2012 11:51 AM, Paolo De Michele wrote:
> hi list,
>
> I have problems after upgrading a kernel on fedora 16
>

> the current kernel:
> Linux homelinux 3.2.2-1.fc16.i686 #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 03:38:31 UTC 2012
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> virtualbox current version:
> VirtualBox-OSE.i686Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
> 4.1.8-2.fc16
>
> When starting a virtual machine I get the following error:
>
> Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
>
> The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is probably not loaded.
> If you installed or VirtualBox OSE package recently you need to restart
> the computer for the driver to load.
> Alternatively, you may attempt to load the driver by issuing the
> following command with system administrator (root) privileges:
> '/etc/sysconfig/modules/VirtualBox-OSE.modules'
>

> the output /etc/sysconfig/modules/VirtualBox-OSE.modules :
>
> ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vboxdrv
> ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vboxnetflt
> ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vboxnetadp
>
> the other time I solved with the following command:
>
> /sbin/service vboxdrv setup
>

> the output is:
>
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl setup vboxdrv.service
> Unknown operation setup
>

> does anyone know help me?
> thanks in advance

Working for me under the same kernel, but I'm using VirtualBox from
Oracle's repo, not OSE.  I don't know if that's important.

$ sudo /sbin/service vboxdrv setup
[sudo] password for sdstern:
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                         [  OK  ]
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modulesError! There are no
instances of module: vboxhost
4.1.8 located in the DKMS tree.
Error! There are no instances of module: vboxhost
4.1.8 located in the DKMS tree.
                                                           [  OK  ]
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS[  OK  ]
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                         [  OK  ]
[sdstern at sds-desk ~]$ uname -a
Linux sds-desk.sterndata.local 3.2.2-1.fc16.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu Jan 26
03:30:43 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[sdstern at sds-desk ~]$ rpm -qa |grep -i virtualbox
VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.8_75467_fedora16-1.i686

--
-- Steve