Virtual machine => Physical machine - fix screen resolution?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Jan 29 02:01:01 UTC 2012

People,

I sent this note to the Fedora virtual list so I thought I might try
here . .

I installed a Fedora 16 x86_64 virtual machine on a Fedora 14 x86_64
server but used a physical disk (/dev/sdb = /dev/vda) so I could get the
new server going almost completely in virtual mode and then when it was
ready to go, reboot the machine on the new drive.  This process went
extremely well (thanks to all the Fedora developers!) but there were a
few glitches left to sort out - one of which was the screen resolution
for both the console and in X.  It seems the default virtual screen is
1024x768 but I need 1280x1024(or 768).  I tried adding a vga parameter
to the linux line in the grub.cfg file but that only temporarily changed
the resolution during bootup.  xorg.conf doesn't get used much anymore -
do I need to create it for this case?  Is there some way to tell Fedora
to rediscover the maximum screen resolution somehow?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades