Recovering forensic data from a failed boot

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jan 30 22:24:49 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 01:38 PM, jdow wrote:
> First one must take a dd level record of the infected disk(s).

The disk isn't infected.  It just won't boot into any 3.x kernel, but
boots fine with the last kernel from F14.

I do, however, have a little more data: ever since the "upgrade," my
laptop's been unable to mount CD/DVD discs although it never had any
trouble under F14.  If I put a DVD into the drive and try to reboot to a
3.x kernel, instead of getting error messages about the sdb cache, I get
errors about not being able to read the disc.  For some reason, the 3.x
kernels are trying to read from that drive even when it's empty, and
hanging because it can't.  I doubt it's something in the BIOS, or boot
order, because the old 2.x kernel has no trouble booting, even though it
can't read from the drive any more either.