Error 403 on Apache server, You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Tue Jan 31 18:30:44 UTC 2012

On 01/31/2012 01:24 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

> I have a small domain, professionally hosted. It has one
> password-protected directory, without an index.html. If I try to
> download a file I've stashed there, all goes well. If I just try to get
> a list of the files (http://www.domain.com/protected_dicrectory/) I get
> an error 403, although when I first set things up several years ago, it
> worked. Maybe Apache has changed?

This is a config file option:

# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
# for more information.
#
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

"Indexes" is the keyword here.  See the referenced URL.
--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.	|   5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting	|   Owings Mills, MD 21117
http://www.come-here.com/News/	|   tkevans at tkevans.com