Transfer from Linux to Windows 7 (Filename Encoding)

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:42:42 UTC 2012

> If you run "tar tv" on the tar file on the Linux side, are the filenames
> displayed correctly? If not, the problem could be with tar (maybe your
> locale settings?). Otherwise, it sounds like the problem is on the
> Windows side.

Hi Patrick,

I performed "tar -tvf myfile.tar" and I see the files just as fine.
However, now that you mentioned tar I did a quick test over the nework
and I see the files perfectly fine on Win7 !  I also burned some files
on a CD-R (using UDF) and I also could restore the files perfectly fine!
 It seems Windows still uses cp1252 and my problems were all caused by
TARing the files and extracting them with 7zip.

Thanks for the tip Patrick.

Best regards,
Jorge