k3b and create image

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 1 03:42:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 17:08 -0600, JD wrote:
> I do know what wav files are.

Uncompressed audio files.  They're a sound file (as are MP3s, OGGs, and
various other audio files).  One might say that they're a Windows
format, but I seem to recall that it's a sound blaster thing (a brand of
sound card, from donkey's years ago).

Anyway, most players can play wave files, directly.  But they are rather
large files.  As a prior poster has mentioned, you can encode them into
another format, to reduce their size.  As an added benefit, most of the
compressed audio formats (FLAC, OGG, MP3, et cetera), also allow you to
insert details about the track (track title, performer's name, et
cetera), making it easier to find what you want in your sound player.
The disadvantage of most of the compressed formats is loss of audio
quality.  Flac isn't a lossy compressor, you can get the original data
back, exactly.  Ogg and MP3 are lossy compressors, some data is lost,
but they make much smaller files.  I find that Ogg files sound much
better, most MP3s have horrible compression artifacts unless they're
compressed at very high bit rates (well above 256 kbits/sec).

> I was hoping to delete them and use just the one file which krb says
> is the image.

While possible, it's probably more convenient to keep the audio tracks
as separate files, unless you really do want to play albums in one go.
Not to mention that some audio players seem to struggle when handling
such huge files as a whole disc in one go.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.