what on earth is firefox up to?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 1 09:09:50 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> General things that cause Firefox to chew through the CPU, when you
>> don't expect it to:
>>
>>       2. A long page visit history.

JD:
> The storage for this list is like a drop in the bucket compared
> to the storage for a large web page cache.

The same answer applies for the keeping of the list of what you've
downloaded, the cache, the visit history, et cetera:  It's not the space
used, but the processing of lots of little files, comparing the data
kept in the database about the files, and working out which ones should
be left or deleted.

There seems to be something extremely inefficient about how it does
that.  For instance, people noticed a big difference when the bookmarks
changed from being a flat HTML file to a database system.

>>       4. Bookmarked RSS feeds that it's going to visit and fetch updates
>>          from.

> I have none of those!

I can't recall whether there were any pre-bookmarked with the default
installation.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686