what on earth is firefox up to? (and httpd, ATS, named...)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 1 13:06:34 UTC 2012

Am 01.07.2012 14:47, schrieb Tom Horsley:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:53:11 -0700
> Nataraj wrote:
>
>> http://www.google.com/search?ix=acb&sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=leap+second+linux
>
> Thanks for the pointer, that may have been it!
>
> I don't understand the complicated interactions that
> make a leap second confuse a computer more than the
> RTC running slow confuses it, but this issue did indeed
> go away after a reboot

a bug is a bug

> They really ought to switch to a new version of NTP
> protocol that is just like the old one, but works from
> TAI and sends a database of leap second info around as
> well so computers can translate TAI into UTC.

in case of a bug whatever new protocol will not help
this seems more likely to be a kernel bug because
there were many apps on different machines affected

* BIND
* MySQL (hardly!)
* Apache Traffic Server
* Firefox
* Thunderbird
* who knows what else

see also:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=65778

i recently restarted ALL computers in our production envirnonment
up to any VMware ESXi Host, SAN-Storage-Controllers (Managment/Storage)
even up to my Android-Phone for security after woke up and saw tons of
alarms about high CPU usage on the whole infrastructure caused
mostly by 15 mysqld instances (and saw the same at home in VMware-Guests
and host)

yes, my first guess to the mysql-list was that i think it
has something to do with teh leap-second last night