Is it possible to setup read-only root ?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 18:23:50 UTC 2012

John Wendel wrote:
> Is it possible to setup Fedora, using Fedora provided
> tools/software, with a read-only root partition?

As I understand it, /etc does have to be on /. So you will need to
either set up network user authentication, or live with any local users
not being able to change their passwords (or possibly symlink
/etc/shadow off /, but I’d expect trouble with that idea…)

There used to be problems with /etc/mtab, but now that’s just a symlink
to /proc/mounts, that isn’t a problem any more.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those
aprilcottage.co.uk | of my employer, are not necessarily mine, and in fact are