Fedora 17, not possible to add kernel parameters to GRUB 2

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Sun Jul 1 22:48:32 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've installed F17 (in a VM) and on first boot, it is not possible to
modify any kernel parameters. There appears to be 2 problems:

Note: 	1. I've never actually logged in to the VM.
	2. no updates have been done
	3. I've connecting to the VM via tigervnc client

Problem 1.
=========
On the very first boot, at the grub 2 to menu, I press 'e' to edit grub,
but I cannot move the cursor to the "linux" line because it is always on
the wrong position, so you cannot see what you are editing.

Problem 2.
=========
Making any changes to the kernel parameter line (locks up grub) and
requires a hard boot.

I would assume that these basic tests must have been tested as part of
Q/A so I must be doing something wrong

I know I can boot the machine and manually configure grub2, but the
above should work "out of the box" from the first installation of an F17
ISO image.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Albert.