what on earth is firefox up to?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jul 1 23:57:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 21:04:27 +0100
Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 July 2012 15:20, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On that note, I've often wondered how systems that look at a file's GMT
> > datestamp and tell you that time translated into your local time, cope
> > with datestamps from a long way away, when timezone rules keep on
> > changing.

They don't.

Fortunately most people are not worried about the exact day the Tynwald
of the Isle of Man adopted GMT and other such trivia

Until relatively recently we also had madness like the UK daylight
savings change being a human selected date, and it did get moved a couple
of times to avoid clashing with major events.

For the future 2800 is where the fun really gets going. Is it a leap year
- depends which church calendar is used 8)

The glibc rules are however pretty good for all times that matter and
there are time geeks who love this kind of detail.

Alan