Gnome-rdp (re-post)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 2 13:23:24 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 08:33 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 13:15 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/02/2012 10:08 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> I can also tell you that I have installed Window 2003 Server and added the role of
>>> "Terminal Server".  The Windows 2003 is running in a Virtual Box VM with the VM
>>> network adapter *Bridged* to the network adapter of meimei (F16).
> Didn't see this before. Your virtual switch configuration is different
> somewhat, as well as the hypervisor. We're running vSphere on this side
> of the equation and using standard vSwitches with a VLAN based port
> group for the VM network. That doesn't matter in this case because there
> isn't an issue with virtual switch configurations.

I'm just telling you my configuration.....

>> OK....  I have installed Windows 2008 Server in a VM.   I simply did an "Enable
>> Remote Desktop" from the "Initial Configuration Tasks".  I didn't "Add roles" since
>> that seemed not necessary according to the prompts when I started doing that.
>>
>> I only used IP addresses since I didn't want to put that system in my DNS.
>> 192.168.0.184 is the IP address it was assigned via DHCP.
>>
>> [egreshko at meimei ~]$ telnet 192.168.0.184 3389
>> Trying 192.168.0.184...
>> Connected to 192.168.0.184.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>
>> I then used Remmina on my F16 box (meimei) to connect.  Everything worked 100%.
>>
>> So, to me, that confirms a configuration issue at your end.
> I must respectfully disagree. You confirmed that you can connect at
> least briefly to a Windows Server VM from inside a network, with no vpn
> in the picture.

I'm not sure what you mean by "briefly".  I was connected the the remote system for
*hours* today.  Yes, there was no VPN...and I thought that was part of the idea to
get rid of an extra layer.

You indicated that you've tried this inside of your network without a VPN and it
failed as well....

So.....

> I guess I'll just file a Bugzilla report on this and then take things
> from there.
>
> Thanks for trying...

Good luck....

I hope you don't "hold back" in your bugzilla.   You may want to mention the fact
that you're able to connect....but that it dies after 5 minutes.  That is another
piece of information which seem secret.  :-) :-)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage