Optical media drive emulation in linux kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 3 17:53:45 UTC 2012

JD wrote:
> On 06/30/2012 03:43 PM, Andy Blanchard wrote:
>>
>> On 30 June 2012 22:38, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com <mailto:jd1008 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Does it exist?
>>     What about kernel add-on packages
>>     that would insert the pseudo-driver shim
>>     and the apps to use it?
>>

>> If you mean, for instance, can I put an ISO image on my HD and mount it, then
>> it's built in to the Kernel:
>>
>> mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro <path to image> <mount point>
>>

>> --
>> Andy
>>
>> /The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe/
>>

> Hi Andy,
> no, that is not what I meant. I really mean a cd/dvd/optical media hardware
> device emulation,
> and not the FS support of iso9660.
>
> I read some blogs about cdemu, which is not
> available in the fedora repos.

Yes, although the utility of that is questionable. No emulator will let you do
things like a proper rip of a CD, because the fancy subtrack and odd preburn
areas and such aren't in your image. And if you are debugging optical media
drivers, I doubt any emulation will be a bizarre as burner firmware.

You can get a better emulation by using kvm, starting qemu-kvm with the -cdrom
option, but what you need to emulate is the optical media device, as well as the
media itself, and the accuracy of emulation is dubious.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>