powerdown restarts

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 3 18:07:41 UTC 2012

Paweł Brodacki wrote:
> 2012/7/2 Richard Vickery <richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>> How do we boot up after "halt" or "sleep"? I quit using these commands years
>> ago for lack of knowledge about booting back up. The man pages never gave me
>> what I needed to know, and now that it has been brought up, I thought that I
>> would ask and get my curiosity satisfied.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I'm not using "sleep", but "halt" (stop the system, leave it powered
> up) is very handy for systems with an UPS. On prolonged power loss UPS
> will tell the system to halt, then wait a bit to give it time, then
> cut the power. When sweet electricity starts flowing from the socket
> in the wall once again, UPS gives power back to the system, which then
> restores itself to the last power state, i.e. powered up. This results
> in a nice boot and the machine is alive and kicking once again.
>
> If the system was shut down, then it would just remain shut down after
> power was restored.

Depending on the behavior options in both the UPS and BIOS, you can do many
things to suit your needs. My power is rarely off for long, so I prefer to stay
up for a while. If I lose net connection (ISP dropped) I change the spin down
time on data drives to a lower value, root and swap are on ssd, and CPU speed is
already set to drop to slow without low.

A custom script can help give you the policy you need.

Sounds as if you are just doing a clean shutdown, and for many people that's the
important thing, have the system do the best thing for your own needs.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>