And don't let the door hit you on the way out

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 01:10:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 07/03/2012 04:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
>
>> Fedora
>> doesn't even aim at being a replacement for Windows.
>>

> And why should it?  That would be setting the bar far, far too low.

You can say whatever snarky things you want to about Windows (and no one
enjoys trashing Microsoft and its straight out of a Pixar movie management
more than I do), BUT

Flash actually works for Windows, and I need Flash (I know...pathetic,
isn't it?) AND
Vmware Player for Windows, unlike Red Hat's various experiments with
virtualization, actually works in a way I can use.

A Windows box with a huge memory space and whatever mixture of XP, Fedora,
CentOS, and Ubuntu (not to mention Cygwin) seemed finally Good Enough.

It is, apparently, not to be.

One possible approach to the shifting sands of the GUI is to stop using
it.  Unfortunately reading through the crabbed and unreliable prose of man
pages is something I now do only in desperation.  What's the difference
between a lower case r and an upper case R?  You have to be
socially-maladjusted to think that such a thing should occupy an important
place in your life...but it does, because I use grep and regular
expressions.  That's changed of course, but then I have to remember that it
has changed, and I am getting old.

Maybe I'll be sufficiently frustrated with Ubuntu that something else will
happen in the end, but, right now, it's looking like Windows for the laptop
and anything but Fedora for everything else.

Robert Myers.