And don't let the door hit you on the way out

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 03:07:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> Remember, Windows is designed as an OS for the masses, and it's designed to
> be used mostly by people with no real understanding of computers or how they
> work.  Would you really want Linux to follow down that path?

Let me jump in on this discussion: I think a lot could be made to make
Windows users feel at home.
Think of the "Lotus 1-2-3 mode" in Borlands'  Quattro Pro.

For instance, I'm sick of reading and hearing "that's not the way you
do things in Linux" referring to command line incantations.
So why can't linux provide default aliases for "dir" "copy" "move" and
other Windows commmand line commands? Why not?

Linux purists answer that "that's not the way we do things in Linux"
and that "users should learn their new OS rather than try to copy the
way Windows does things". I think that is wrong and is precisely one
of the reasons of desktop linux minuscule market share.

FC