Is Gnome becoming a Microsoft project?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 23:39:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
<mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> OK, to be more topic related: I don't condemn Java nor it's JREs etc. I
> only think it's not most optimal choice for GNOME as well as .NET or
> Mono.

I´m not saying "hey, let´s re-code Gnome in Java". No.

What I´m saying is that if someone is pushing for Gnome to become
infected with Mono, it´s a way better choice to make it depend on the
GPL´ed OpenJDK rather than .Net which is a Microsoft controlled
platform.

In other words, that given a choice between OpenJDK and Mono, that
Java is the lesser evil.

Anyway... I just hope that with the recent death of Moonlight (the
SIlverlight clone)
http://www.linuxdevelopernews.com/linuxdevelopernews-81-20120601MoonlightDiscontinued.html

...and the firing of Mono devs from Attachmate after Novell let it go
http://lxnews.org/2011/05/06/attachmate-kills-off-mono/

...that this will soon be a problem we don´t have to worry about. :-P

Yet, it worries me that Microsoft might feel inclined to fund the
Gnome Mono infection directly instead of using proxies as they did in
the past...

FC