F16 - Password requirements

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Thu Jul 5 11:53:36 UTC 2012

On 07/03/2012 01:36 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com
> <mailto:ricks at alldigital.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/03/2012 08:56 AM, Jeffrey Ross issued this missive::
>
>         How do I relax the password requirements in Fedora?
>
>         I though adjusting /etc/pam.d/system-auth was were the changed
>         needed to
>         be made, I made this change:
>
>         #password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass
>         retry=3 type=
>         password    sufficient    pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok
>         try_first_pass
>         #use_authtok
>         password    required      pam_deny.so
>
>         but Fedora still seems to be strict on password requirements.
>         Â So either I
>         attacked the wrong file or made the wrong changes.
>
>         Any pointers to where I should be making my changes?
>

>     You can remove pam_cracklib from the chain, change it to "optional" or
>     change its parameters. Check "man pam_cracklib" for how it works and
>     the parameters it accepts. Personally, I'd leave it "requisite" and
>     change its parameters to accommodate your relaxed restrictions.
>

> It may also be necessary to make an adjustment to the requirements in
> /etc/login.def to relax it. That file controls things like logging it
> and number of times you may enter it before it will not be accepted.

Thanks for the hints, turns out I had the settings correct but the
problem turned out to be elsewhere, I am/was using poppassd to allow
users to change their passwords via squirrelmail and poppassd was not
working properly.  I handful of changes to poppassd and everything is
working as expected.

Thanks, Jeff