searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Thu Jul 5 21:47:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

It's unusual because rar and its file format are closed (maybe
patented). The vendor provides an open source unrar utility, and that's it.

There are MUCH BETTER options, like 7-zip.org (p7zip is part of Fedora
and is part of RHEL or can be added through EPEL, and is supported by
File-Roller and Nautilus). Better compression rate, speedier, all open
source. The windows GUI version is also much better than WinRAR.

So it's enough for me to have an unrar to open files in this format by
people who don't know there's better alternatives.

[]s, Fernando Lozano