sda2 is corrupted (HOWTO NOT HELP)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jul 6 15:09:17 UTC 2012

Am 06.07.2012 17:01, schrieb Reindl Harald:

>>> you should not play around before
>>> knowing what problem the drive has
>>>
>>> if it is a physical problem google for "ddrescue"

>>> what about BACKUPS?
>>>
>>> ff your data is important backups exists
>>> if your data is not important it does not matter
>>>
>>> why do people still need to learn it the hard way?
>>>
>> I run  dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb1  to copy, supposely a 26gb image to sdb1 but i do not see a image on  sdb1 .
>>
>> Confused ???
>
> no, just stupid because you do not read manuals nor know anything about
> basic-commands and that is why you destroyed /dev/sdb1 if there were
> data by overwrite the whole partition
>
> /dev/sdb1 is now a blockwise copy of /dev/sd1
>
> if you want a image you have to use "dd if=/deV7sda1 of=/path/filename.image"

well, i guess the reason why this happened was a combination
of plain stupid advise below without explain what it does in
a real dangerous way and blindly following any advise without
trying to understand what are you doing

hopefully lesson learned -> BOTH of you!

this is why i said "google for ddrescue" and NOT provide any
HIGH DANGEROUS command line

-------- Original-Nachricht --------