changing a read-only file to rw

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jul 6 15:39:40 UTC 2012

Am 06.07.2012 17:35, schrieb Jim:
> On 07/06/2012 11:19 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 06.07.2012 17:15, schrieb Jim:
>>> mount -o remount,rw /
>>>
>>> I trying to write on to /media/backup , but it is a read-only file sys, how do I change it to rw. the above command
>>> is not doing it.
>> so there must be a reson why it is only mounted read-only
>>
>> again:
>> what does "dmesg" say or what appears in /var/log/messages
>> after trying tou remount RW - it is laways the same: without
>> providing any information nobody can help you
>>

> mount -o remount,rw /
>
> sda3 is /
>
> /var/log/messages;
> Jul  6 11:29:28 presleys kernel: [52473.469114] EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: (null)

well so what let you come to the conclusion it is MOUNTED read-only?
what says "mount | grep sda3"?

i doubt you are only kacing write-permissions
this has nothing to do with read-only

is this still the same computer of your freind
where you trying to rescue data since days?

if yes - PLEASE be a friend to him and consult someone which
is knowing what he is doing - appearently you are only shooting
in the dark which sooner or later ends in data finally lost!