changing a read-only file to rw

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 20:32:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:15:15 -0400, Jim wrote:

> mount -o remount,rw /
>
> I trying to write on to /media/backup , but it is a read-only file sys,
> how do I change it to rw. the above command is not doing it.

This extra thread is sort of ridiculous. In the previous thread you've
shown already that /media/backup is a separate mount point:

> mount | grep sdb1
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/backup type ext4
> (ro,relatime,seclabel,errors=continue,data=ordered)

Now you try to remount /, which makes no sense because you would need
to (re)mount /media/backup properly. Not /. You could avoid confusion
like this if you provided enough details in all your posts rather than
letting list members do the tedious guess-work. ;)