F17 cursor problem : request

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 20:33:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:59:25 +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2012 02:24 PM, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>>>         Would somebody who knows how please make this available in
>>> Fedora, or write a pons asinorum for it? When you get seriously old,
>>> you'll be glad you did.
>>>

>> Gnome 2 had something built in that would show you where the cursor was
>> when you tapped the control key.  At one time, it turned the cursor
>> into a big blue ball for a moment, at another, into a large, spinning
>> square.

	Yes, and I used it. I always set it when I find it, but it seems
to move -- and I'm pretty sure it's missing from xfce.

>> If Gnome 3 doesn't already have this, it shouldn't be too hard
>> for somebody to find the code for it and make a plugin out of it.  And,
>> if they do, I'd appreciate getting it ported to Xfce, as I'd like to
>> have it again.
>

> It is possible. Go to Settings -> Mouse and Touchpad. Under the tab
> Mouse,
> select "show position of the cursor when the Control key is pressed".
> After this, you can get the location of the cursor (with a nice
> animation) by just pressing CTRL.

	I went there and tried that, but found no such option under xfce.
I'll look when I'm next on a Gnome3 machine.

	But even the control key function *and* a pair of eyes on each of
two panels, together, are still more distracting and less convenient than
a good big mouse cursor, especially a colored one.