Fedora 18 and UEFI

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:55:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:
> We're not. Micr*soft dominates, and they can virtually do anything
> they like.

Not if the US DOJ and the Federal Trade Comission gets involved.

Remember the US-DOJ trial with judge Thomas Penfield Jackson found
MSFT GUILTY. The fact that later a new administration came in and
allowed them to turn the breakup into a set of ´remedies´ which
included opening up MSFT protocols to third parties (which for
instance, allowed Samba NTLM authentication to interoperate with
MSFT´s) is besides the point... Microsoft is a convicted monopolist,
and as such there´s a thin line they must walk on...

I´m not a lawyer but I guess some antitrust lawyer could conclude that
this is an abuse of dominant position.

See for instance the recent MSFT-Nokia deal, now an antitrust lawyer says:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-balto/nokia-microsoft_b_1582227.html

"The European Commission will hopefully open an investigation and the
U.S. regulators will follow suit."

I hope the EFF, the CDT or other advocacy groups get involved to get
the FTC briefed about the implications of this.

Just my $0.02
FC