Fedora 18 and UEFI

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Jul 8 16:07:50 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Dave Ihnat <dihnat at dminet.com> said:
> Once, long ago--actually, on Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:20:02AM +0100--Alan Cox (alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) said:
> > Many Android ARM based devices are already locked down. In shouting at
> > Microsoft on the ARM issue you need to point fingers at a lot of other
> > people too.
>
> Quite true, and I'm happy to.  The main reason Microsoft catches so much
> flak for this is simple--they're the 800 lb. (363 Kg) gorilla in the room.

Well, they're the 800 lb. gorilla in the _desktop PC_ room.  They're
also a large gorilla in the x86 server room, but they're more like a
small gnat in the tablet room (and maybe a large dog in the smartphone
room).

The tablet/smartphone market has already decided to sell locked-down
devices (see the 800 lb. fruity gorilla in those markets).  Microsoft is
just joining in the existing fun there.  We don't like the result, but
it is hard to blame Microsoft for aping what the rest of the market is
already doing (and apparently most consumers accept as the norm).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>