Matching message headers in mutt hooks

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Mon Jul 9 06:48:09 UTC 2012

On 09.07.2012, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:

> I've been using mutt for years as my only email client, and I can tell you
> from personal experience that mutt is _much_ faster to get around in and
> read and process mail than one with a gui. In fact, that's it's chief
> selling point.

And it has by far the best threading I've seen in my whole life.

> The downside of mutt is that it has a rather steep learning curve, but that
> only lasts a lil while, and it doesn't have built in filtering; you have to
> filter your mail on the server side, or with a program like
> procmail.

There are a lot of filters; maildrop, mailfilter.. Though procmail
seems not to be maintained anymore, I'm using it, because I have
experience in writing procmail recipes and have been using it all my
life. You can feed your mail into perl/python/whatever-scripts
directly from procmail.

My incoming mailchain is fetchmail -> procmail -> perl/CRM114 -> mutt.
F*ck me, writing all this makes me realize that I'm getting old :-)