Matching message headers in mutt hooks

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 12:39:34 UTC 2012

ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:
> I've been using mutt for years as my only email client, and I can tell you
> from personal experience that mutt is _much_ faster to get around in and
> read and process mail than one with a gui. In fact, that's it's chief
> selling point.

Mailing lists like this one are one area where mutt really works well.

Some advanced ideas (I think Claws can do a lot of these now):
 * You can sort threads by score then date, so threads stay together
   (and Mutt will use ASCII or UTF-8 drawing to illustrate the threads),
   but threads you’re more interested come first in the list. You can
   score on a lot of message features: for example, anyone with a
   @lwn.net, @fedoraproject.org or @redhat.com address, or keywords in
   the subject. You can also sort flamefests to the bottom of the list.

 * You can also assemble your own list of kooks, making their messages
   display in green type (rather suitable) and scoring them down. This
   helps you realise that it might be a Good Idea to leave them their
   misconceptions before you start a reply.

 * Depending on your editor, you can macro a lot of custom phrases,
   meaning less typing.

 * You can customise a lot of your settings according to the mailing
   lists. For example, I only use fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk on Fedora
   lists. mutt will automatically pick the right From address (once
   you’ve configured that). You also get different signatures (and a
   different one each time!)

 * Some shell scripting allows you to come up with your own
   blacklisting, with the possibility for first-time offenders to
   gradually move to lists where (most of) their messages are shown, but
   they get low scores, then eventually fall out of the blacklist.

 * Use IMAP and dovecot to actually store your mail. This means you can
   access your mailboxes with other clients if you need to.

All of these require a certain amount of configuration, but it’s all in
the manual, once you know what you want to do, especially if you’re
prepared to call out to the shell.

Personally, I compile in the vvv.nntp patches so I can share killfiles
and settings with Usenet.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | “Drums must never stop. Very bad if drums stop.”
aprilcottage.co.uk | “Why? What will happen if the drums ever stop?”