sendmail

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jul 9 13:11:13 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, roland <roland at cat.be> said:
> I suppose that if one uses the ESMTP option, one has to install esmtp and
> configure it as needed.
> as discribed in :
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/send-mail-with-esmtp-for-a-simple-single-user-system/232

No, that's a program that is confusingly named the same as a protocol.
Basically, almost all MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents, such as sendmail,
postfix, exim) speak an enhanced version of the original SMTP protocol.
ESMTP is what allows authentication, encryption, and more.

> How do you tell sendmail to use esmtp as the email deliverer?

sendmail will use the ESMTP protocol any time it connects to a server
that says it supports ESMTP (when to telnet to the server on port 25 or
587, the banner line starts with "220 " if it supports ESMTP or just
"200 " if it only supports the original SMTP with no extensions).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>