Production server running from USB stilck with /var on HD ?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Jul 10 04:07:43 UTC 2012

People,

I have been using RH and Fedora since the beginning and love it!  I
like to keep up with the latest version of Fedora on my production
server and although the install of the OS itself from a LiveCD/USB is
very fast, restoring all the other stuff takes quite a while.  To reduce
downtime of the server, what I did last time was to install to a virtual
machine which used a physical HD and then to reboot on the new HD when
it was ready to go.  Now I am thinking of installing to a USB stick but
having all the changeable files on /var (or anywhwere else) symlinked to
a dir on the HD for speed.  What are the potential problems with this
idea?  I can see:

- slower bootup

-

--