"best practices" for using a small SSD boot drive and a big regular one?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Jul 13 20:33:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:40:58 -0400 (EDT)
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   obviously(?), i'll want to install the basic OS to the SSD drive,
> with the assumption that i won't be updating /usr 20 times a day or
> something silly.  then again, who knows how often i'll be installing
> new packages?

I recently set a machine up with a 40gb ssd and a 1tb hard drive.  My objective
was to put the os on the ssd and the data on the hard drive.

Therefore, I partitioned the drive such that / and /boot were on the ssd
and /home, /opt, /tmp and /var were on the hard drive.