"best practices" for using a small SSD boot drive and a big regular one?

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Sat Jul 14 07:23:05 UTC 2012

On 14.07.2012, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Not swap.  If you really need swap, it gets written to over and over, which
> isn't exactly the best thing for an SSD.

My thoughts were that nowadays, on laptops with a fairly amount of
RAM, swap gets mainly used for hibernating, and I think it will be a
significant advantage to have the memory image recovered from the
fastest disk in the system.

> And, if you're using ext4, there's
> no reason for a separate /boot, either.

You're right, it isn't neccessary to have /boot on an extra
partition. However, I thought that two good arguments for having it on
a partition of its own are later whole disk encryption (it's a laptop,
if it gets stolen, your data should be safe) and much better recovery
from a system crash. It's much more unlikely that a small partition
without writes gets damaged, and you can even have it mounted ro..