Motherboards

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:42:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Peter Gueckel <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> One other thing I should add to the considerations one ought to keep in mind when
> buying a motherboard is the quality of the BIOS program.
>
> With the ASUS and ASRock motherboards I have had, I noticed that the BIOS setup
> program was very difficult and ambiguous to understand. I got the impression that
> the settings were all poor translations and often left me puzzled.
>
> With the Intel motherboard, I was greeted by a menu composed of very professional
> and well-written settings and explanations. I find good and unambiguous use of
> English in the manuals and setup to be a factor worth considering.

As much as I hate my latest ASUS board, due to the lack of LAN drivers
in Linux and the lack of a PCI slot on the board, I must say that the
BIOS is terrific. When first opens it give one an idiot-designed
"simple BIOS" or whatnot, but once entered into the Advanced mode it
is terrific. I even updated the BIOS from within BIOS as it can read
USB sticks and upload the new firmware from there. So no DOS needed
for a BIOS update.

That said, I have another complaint about the latest ASUS boards: no
boot from USB!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il