"best practices" for using a small SSD boot drive and a big regular one?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jul 14 10:56:54 UTC 2012

Am 14.07.2012 12:47, schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
> On 07/14/2012 11:55 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> My thoughts were that nowadays, on laptops with a fairly amount of
>>> RAM, swap gets mainly used for hibernating, and I think it will be a
>>> significant advantage to have the memory image recovered from the
>>> fastest disk in the system.
>>
>>   oh, right, *that's* why i want swap. :-)
>>

> If your rotating disk will always be connected, you may want to have
> a unique VG across both the SSD and the HD, so you can move partitions
> across them and have more flexibility.
> For example, if you realize to need some more space on a SSD filesystem,
> you still have to ability to enlarge the partition into the HD and cope with
> a partially-here/partially-there layout.
> This road can lead to very interesting tricks, such as having the
> journal and metadata on SSD and actual data on HD.

and what happens if ONE drive fails?

colume groups over different drives are a VERY bad idea
as long LVM does not sit on top of a RAID!

having as example a LVM over 3 drives makes it 3 times
more possible to lose the whole volume groups data
if one drive goes down

this is the same as for RAID0: do it only if it does
not bother you losing your data!