gdm lacks language & kbd layout selection

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sun Jul 15 12:38:36 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/15/2012 06:24 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> I would use two case: multiple users on one machine want different
>> languages; and one user want occasionally use session with different
>> language from it's main. In both cases in way for people without any
>> computer skills ;). Fortunately contrary to You all languages are
>> those using ISO8859-1/-2 charsets (maybe rarely cyrillic alphabet).
>
> You didn't mention what desktop you are using.....

As I wrote in first mail, I'm now using Xfce (in F14- I was Gnome user).

> For GNOME, which I don't use, it is very easy for a person to select which LANG they
> want to operate in.  All they do is go to "System Settings--->Region&Language" and
> set their language for their next and subsequent logins.
>
> For the person using a different language than their main one...they just have to
> remember to do it on logout.

Eh, int indeed! That is return back to windos era :(
And after some time anaconda/firstboot will say to us: "Now You must
select Your language. It cannot be newer changed afterwards"

And it is useles when to one machine are simultaneously connected
multiple users with different language demands.